Today, January 15, 2018, the world remembers one of the greatest leaders of our time, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This coming April 4th will mark exactly 50 years—half a century—since Dr. King was assassinated, and yet his legacy as an inspiring leader lives on stronger than ever.
While striving for social justice and equality for people of color, Dr. King appealed to and inspired us all as one human race. We can all find inspiration in his leadership. Here are ten of Dr. King’s leadership quotes that are as relevant today as they were in his lifetime.
1. “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”
2. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
3. “We have before us the glorious opportunity to inject a new dimension of love into the veins of our civilizations.”
4. “The time is always right to do the right thing.”
5. “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”
6. “Lightning makes no sound until it strikes.”
7. “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
8. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
9. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'”
10. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”