The world of music distribution, consumption, and commercial use is constantly evolving thanks to the digital landscape. You need to stay in tune with it. What are the latest tools to distribute your music? What are the latest licensing rights on these platforms? How do clients and fans discover new music?
Social media is a great way to keep your finger on the pulse, but not everyone wants to spend their days combing through their Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter feeds. Save time by going straight to the source, the blogs themselves.
Following the right blogs is the best way to stay current with the latest music industry trends, news, and innovation. There’s certainly no time or need to follow every music blog out there; just the best ones.
Pro Tip: Streamline content from all the blogs you follow by using a simple aggregating tool. We recommend Feedly, a free service.
Here are the 8 essential, must-read blogs to stay in the know and ahead of the curve.
- The DIY Musician – Find success and grow your music career with promotion tips and more.
- The Hype Machine – The best place to find new music on the web. Every day, thousands of people around the world write about music they love — and it all ends up here.
- Rdio Blog – Rdio lets you listen to millions of songs ad-free wherever you are – on the web and on your phone, even offline.
- Music Reddit – The latest conversations from Reddit users on what’s trending in music.
- Spotify Blog – Get the latest news on music, marketing, and Spotify, one of the largest music discovery platforms.
- Soundcloud Blog – Read on for posts including news and updates from SoundCloud HQ, community stories from our Fellows and Heroes, and to get to know SoundCloud team members.
- Vevo – Follow the latest trending music videos.
- 8tracks Blog – Featured artists, 8tracks platform updates, and news on other music distribution tools!