Paving New Avenues in Gmail With AMP Email
Accelerated Mobile Pages or AMP has been around since October 2015. It is an open-source project that was launched to render a mobile website almost instantly. What makes AMP such a coveted technology is the positive impact it has on traffic, conversions, and sales.
Take a look at the screenshot below:
It is evident that a mere one-tenth of a second increase in the page load time brings a drop of 1.3 billion US Dollar in sales. This makes it clear how page speed influences revenue.
Make AMP an essential component of your mobile content strategy by including the basic website elements and optimizing its loading speed. It will not only make the content more readable but also enhance the user experience.
Here’s a screenshot that portrays the difference between the mobile version of a website and AMP version.
Now, imagine implementing the same technology in emails. Wouldn’t it be much more convenient to take action right in the inbox without getting redirected to the website landing page? That’s exactly what AMP does for you.
Advantages and Applications of AMP Email
- In ecommerce industry, AMP for emails can be used to facilitate the checkout process. Subscribers can choose the color, size, or quantity of the item they wish to buy and make the purchase from the email itself. They have to go to the landing page only to make the payment. It can also be used to make cart abandonment emails more engaging.
- If we talk about the finance sector, AMP can offer functionality that lets the user calculate the loan and EMI details by providing the loan amount and loan duration in the email.
- Travel industry email marketers can let the subscriber check the ticket availability and book their trip from the email.
Booking.com has made it very easy to book accommodation from the email itself for travel enthusiasts.
A similar idea can be executed for booking a table at the restaurant or movie ticket.
- AMP emails can work as effective event invitations as the recipients can RSVP from the email directly. It will get you more registrations and attendees in addition to enhanced engagement.
- Courier tracking feature can be incorporated in an AMP email and make the task of goods and freight industry easier than ever.
- Survey emails with AMP can let the users respond in the email and share their feedback. It will improve the response rate of the surveys by eliminating the step of switching to a landing page.
- Dating apps like Tinder can use AMP in emails and offer the “swiping” feature in the email. It resembles a mini app in the email.
See how this AMP email from Pinterest allows the user to save the pin and view its enlarged version from the email itself giving it the look of a mini app.
- An AMP email gives you the liberty to reply to Google Docs comments and saves you some effort.
- While it was not previously possible, AMP has made it possible for subscribers to experience interactivity of sliders and accordions even in Gmail.
EmailMonks has designed an “all-in-one” email through which the user can read the top three blogs, subscribe to their emails, and contact them directly – all from the email. The slider, accordion, and contact form has been incorporated with the help of AMP technology.
How to Send an AMP Email?
After designing a dynamic AMP email, you will need to register with Google to send it to your subscribers.
Here is a step-by-step process to guide you.
- Send the final email from the production servers or a server that has the same DKIM/SPF/From:/Return-Path: headers to email@example.com. Do not forget to add the dynamic email MIME part.
- Use AMP validator and playground to check if the AMP email is impeccable, before you send the email.
- Never forward the email as Gmail deletes AMP MIME parts from a forwarded email.
- After you send the email, fill the registration form by Google and await their response.
Registration Guidelines to be Considered
- Authenticate the email address with DKIM and SPF.
- Make sure the domain of the DKIM signature and From: email address is the same. For example: If you are sending an email from firstname.lastname@example.org, the DKIM should be emailmonks.com.
- Send the email from a static email address.
- Adhere to the Gmail Bulk Sender Guidelines.
- The email address should have a low spam complaint and a history of sending emails consistently for a few weeks at the minimum.
- Review all the AMP email best practices before hitting the Send button.
Coding an AMP Email
For every AMP email, doctype declaration is a mandate.
With the help of this declaration, the inbox can identify that the email is an AMP email.
Include the below mentioned script without fail as the features will be displayed based on it.
< async src="https://cdn.ampproject.org/v0.js">>
Here is an example code for you.
Disadvantages of AMP in Email
Being a relatively new language to learn, there are several limitations for using it, as enlisted below.
- Not every ESP supports AMP email.
Typically, an email should have two MIME types- one for the HTML part and another as plain text. For AMP emails, you will need a third MIME-type which makes their execution all the more complex. ESPs must support this MIME-type to support the deployment of AMP emails.
Currently, only two ESPs – Aweber and Sparkpost support AMP emails. In the days to come, ESPs like Twilio Sendgrid, Amazon SES, and Amazon Pinpoint are expected to extend support to AMP.
- It might be difficult to track the email performance.
AMP-powered emails usually come with interactivity like hover-based event or clicking through a range of diverse deals. Such actions cannot be measured in the ESP or CRM. Consequently, it might pose a challenge to measure the email campaign’s performance.
- It can get confusing for the subscriber as the email can be updated post-deployment.
Your subscribers might not be receptive to emails with content that changes each time they open it. As AMP allows to update the content of emails even after deployment, it might result in trust issues with subscribers who are not familiar to the AMP technology.
- It is time-consuming to build an AMP email.
Despite being an open-source project, many people might not be open to using it as it is time-consuming to build an AMP email and requires special codes.
- Gmail is the only email client supporting it.
Currently Gmail for desktop is the only email client that supports it. Therefore, you might not be able to reach to the subscribers using other email clients.
- It might lead to rendering issues.
If the subscriber views an AMP email in an email client other than Gmail for desktop, the user might not be able to make sense out of the email. The subscribers would be puzzled if they are unable to experience the interactivity.
AMP is one of the most promising technology to emerge in the world of email design and coding in spite of the challenges. You can reinvent several possibilities with the help of such emails.
In the near future, it will surely pave new avenues to increase subscriber engagement and present for an exciting thing to explore. займ на карту онлайн