As a realtor, social media must be a key component of your online marketing strategy. With the growing scope of social media platforms and influence across the web, you simply cannot afford to be absent. Your clients expect to find you on various social media channels and you should not let them down.
By building your presence on social media, you will:
- Be able to communicate with clients and prospects more easily
- Become more visible in search engine results
- Generate more business leads and clients
- Develop a voice and reputation that will give people confidence in your brand
- Get real-time information on critical news in the real estate industry
In order to help you use social media in a way that will help you achieve your goals, we’ve compiled this guide on how to use the social media channels that are most important to building your real estate business: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn,Google +, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Why Facebook Matters
Facebook is the world’s largest social network. It’s critical that you show up on Facebook because most social media users are here, and many of them are looking for realtors. Here are some fascinating statistics on Facebook (as of 2014) from marketing expert Jeff Bullas. These make the case for why you need to be on Facebook:
- 829 million people use Facebook on a daily basis; and you want to capture their attention.
- 30 million businesses now have a Facebook Fan Page; you should too.
Tips for Optimizing your Facebook Business Page
- Create a Facebook Fan Page for Your Business
Facebook has a great portal just for Business users; use it as a guideline when building your page.
- Use the “About” section wisely
The “About” section of your is your opportunity to really tell people who you are and what you do. There is no limit to characters. Make sure to add keywords to optimize your search potential.
- Design the right-sized profile picture & cover photo
Make sure your photos look great by sizing them correctly: profile photo, 180p x 180 pixels, cover photo 851 x 315 pixels.
- Follow and “like” influential Facebook pages
Start “liking” other business pages relevant to the real estate industry and engage with them. This will help you become a part of the online realtor’s community and bring Facebook fans of your own. (Make sure to read 10 Must Follow Facebook Pages for Realtors).
Pro Tip: For more tips on optimizing your Facebook business page, check out Facebook’s resource center for business.
Why Twitter Matters
Twitter is a social network powerhouse with a huge, growing user base. Here are some fascinating statistics on Twitter (as of 2014) from marketing expert Jeff Bullas. These make the case for why you need to be on Twitter:
- 34.7 million American adults use Twitter.
- 27.9% of all social network users in the U.S. are on Twitter, 19.2% of Internet users are on Twitter, and 15.2% of the total U.S. population is on Twitter.
Tips for Optimizing your Twitter
- Make the Most of your Bio
You don’t have a lot of room for your Twitter bio– but make sure to include one to two keywords or hashtags (#hashtags) to increase your visibility.
- Add your location
By adding your location, you can be found via geographic search tools.
- Design the right-sized profile picture & cover photo
Profile photo should be 400 x 400 pixels. Cover photo 1500 x 500 pixels.
- Follow Influences
Follow people in the real estate business that you respect and influence your profession.
- Tweet to teach and inform
Tweet tips and links to helpful articles and videos, including your own content, that will teach and inform clients about things like preparing their home for an open house, packing and moving and any other information that could make your clients’ move less stressful.
Why LinkedIn Matters
LinkedIn is the ultimate social network powerhouse for professionals. Its network of millions of users can help you grow your business contacts and leads. Here are some fascinating statistics on LinkedIn, as of 2014, from marketing expert Jeff Bullas. These numbers make the case for why you need to be on LinkedIn:
- 300 million users are on LinkedIn
- 2.1 million LinkedIn professional groups exist. This is where people network, connect, and share valuable ideas and dialogues.
Tips for Optimizing your LinkedIn Profile Page
- Use the “Summary” section wisely
This is your opportunity to grab people’s attention. There is no limit to characters. Make sure to add keywords so that you are optimizing your search potential.
- Upload a cover photo
Make sure you use the proper dimension: 1400 x 425 pixels.
- Grow your network
LinkedIn allows you to invite people to connect via your email contacts. This is a great tool for building your network.
- Follow influencers and join groups
Stay up-to-date on the most relevant news in the real estate business by following thought leaders and joining real estate professional groups.
- Posting to LinkedIn:
Post listings and open house information. It’s a wonderful way of generating interest as well as leads (for more about lead generation read Lead Generation for Realtors). Add a call to action and let people know where they can get more information.
Pro Tip: For more great tips on optimizing your LinkedIn profile & Company pages, see LinkedIn’s resource: The Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide to Linkedin
Why Google+ Matters
Google+ might be the most misunderstood of all the social networks—but its influence cannot be underestimated. Here are the impressive stats of Google+ from leading digital and social media marketing blog Digital Insights:
- 1.6 billion total users
- 540 million active users
- 53% of interaction between a Google+ user and a brand is positive
Tips for Optimizing your Google+
- Use the “Story” section wisely
Make sure to add keyword to increase your SEO visibility.
- Join communities
Joining Google+ communities is a great way to connect with other realtors and become informed.
- Add your contact information
Email, phone, and physical address (if applicable for your office or store)
- Increased visibility
When posting to a Google+ page, your posts show up instantly in Google’s search rankings and by getting clicks and shares to your posts and links they’ll be pushed by in the search rankings. For best results, don’t forget to use keywords.
Why Instagram Matters
Instagram is a social network for online mobile photo-sharing and video-sharing. It’s different than all the other social networks mentioned above, in that you sign up and are active via the iPhone or Android app that you download to your phone.
People love sharing photos of all kinds, and the proof is in Instagram’s popularity. Here are the impressive stats on Instagram from leading digital and social media marketing blog Digital Insights:
- 200 million active monthly users
- 50 million users joined Instagram in the first half of 2014
- 20 billion photos have been taken on Instagram to date
- Add your name
- Upload a profile photo
- Write a description
- Include a link in the description
- Upload a profile photo (110 x 110 pixels)
- Include your company specialties
- Photomap pictures of homes before sharing them
Pro Tip: For more great tips on how to use Instagram, check out Instagram’s business blog.
Why Pinterest Matters
- 70 million users are on Pinterest.
- 40 million users visit Pinterest per month.
- 23% of Pinterest users use the site at least once per day.
Optimizing Your Pinterest Page
- Use the “About” section wisely
Make sure to add keywords so you are optimizing your search potential.
- Create a custom username and Pinterest URL
Pinterest allows you to create a custom URL, which is great for SEO purposes. If available, use your name or your business name, or a combination that is SEO-friendly.
- Design the right-sized profile photo: 165 x 165 pixels
- Follow influential Pinterest pages
Start “following” other Pinterest pages relevant to your industry and engage with them. This will help you enter their community and bring Pinterest fans of your own.
- Add your Location – this will help you get discovered in location-based search queries.
- Connect to your social media accounts – connect your Twitter account, Facebook profile and Google Plus account to your about section (Settings > social networks) to get more views and followers.
- Set up helpful boards – apart from a board with your listings, you should have boards that highlight the amenities, shops and services in the areas where you listings are. These will make the area more desirable. In addition, provide inspiration and ideas on home decor boards and easy ways to pack, fold and move items.
Pro Tip: For more great Pinterested tips, check out the Pinterest Guide blog.